Saturday, December 14, 2013

Umabo: Umami Bowl


     My brother has been asking me all week about going to a Japanese-fusion restaurant located nearby his office, saying that this restaurant is one of the best restaurant he tried lately. I finally agreed to go with him alongside with my little brother to the destined placed named Umabo, short for Umami Bowl , and it highlights signature rice bowls alongside with burger, hotdog, chicken wings and varieties of side menus.

PREACH!


     As for the food, we ordered plenty but I only got some of their picture taken. Apology for being such a rookie blogger :( Anyways, the appetizer we ordered were Monster Fries which is french fries topped with melted cheese, beef slides, caramelized onion, and jalapeño. The mix produces a very savory flavor per se umami, exceeding our expectation. 

Monster Fries, IDR 26 thousand
 
     I ordered the Chicken Wings Bowl which I particularly regret because my brother ordered 1-Kilogram of chicken wings right after I put the rice bowl into order on the waitress' menu options on the restaurant iPad menu and it turned out that the chicken wings on my rice bowl is way sweeter that the 1 kilogram portion, maybe it's the glazing sauce that differ them. The 1-Kilogram chicken wings order were good, although it's not punching umami flavor as the fried does. Our heavy portioned chicken was divided into two trays as the waitress kindly allow us to modify and customize our order since we want to try out their chicken wings variation. There are two kinds of the wings frying method, whether you want it naked (without batter) or coated (with batter) alongside with three types of sauce: coca-cola, hawaiian and buffalo sauce. We didn't get to try the coca-cola sauce since my brother is afraid that it will be too sweet for our taste.

Chicken Wings Bowl, IDR 46 thousand.
On the top of the rice, it is served about 4-5 chicken wings alongside with a half-boiled egg, an unidentifiable greens (oh, my lack of knowledge in produce) and cornflakes. You read that right, cornflakes!

1-Kilogram Chicken Wings, IDR 110+ thousand
(Left) Naked, unbattered chicken wings with Hawaiian Pineapple Sauce
(Right) Coated chicken wings with Spicy Buffalo Sauce, which I prefer more.



     My little brother ordered a rice bowl named Ribs Me Up and it was the boys favorite. The two brothers went crazy over the braised ribs topped with a runny egg and the beef reduction sauce. I didn't get to taste the particular dish since I'm already full with mine. As for my older brother, he ordered a burger that he liked although it was simply a burger without any sides. But a ton of chicken wings and a wonderful umami fried are amazing sides by its own, no? About the drinks, I ordered a glass lemon tea and an amazing green tea milkshake which is very smooth and subtle. The night I spent dining here was very pleasant, we even bought some food for our parents back at home.



    Umabo is located next to an English (or Math?) course place right across Samudera restaurant in Wijaya. The place itself it's not very big, but very cozy and spacey because of it's simple furniture. I also liked the decor of some of Umabo-customized slogans framed on the wall and  quotes about how Umabo appreciate their food, varying from one table to another. I love how simple this place is and how it is able to maximize it's minimum space, I definitely agree with my brother upon his impression of Umabo.

Oh, and as notice, currently Umabo only accepts cash for now and still have their dishes on a 5% off as part of their opening establishment promo, so grab it fast people!

An appreciation GIF, dedicated to the delicious fries served here. The best cheese fries I've ever tasted. 

Umabo
Jl. Wijaya I No. 22
Jakarta Selatan
+62 21 7222063

No comments:

Post a Comment